Thursday, December 16, 2010

Patong Beach

I farewelled Elke and left Kathmandu on 4th December. I then spent 8 hours in the New Delhi airport chatting with a Brazilian couple who thought that I should try yoga and some variant of the hallucinogenic herb peyote. I’m not sure I’m up for either.



I arrived in Patong Beach, Phuket, Thailand on 5th December where I was joined by my daughter Michaela and her friend Steve. To be honest, I never thought I’d enjoy a holiday that involved lying in a beach chair all day, being brought drinks and fruit, only rising to swim in the warm Andaman Sea and to obtain massages. Thai culture? We saw none of it. It was wonderfully self-indulgent and totally different to all the other places I have visited in the past six months.

After lying on the beach almost immobile for several days, we actually got out of our beach chairs and took some tours. Michaela and I visited Phi Phi Island, and hopefully I’ll have some photos to put here soon. The scenery was absolutely stunning, but everywhere was heaving with tourists. There were probably as many tourists per square metre as there were at the Taj Mahal, and that’s saying something.
Sadly, Steve missed Phi Phi Island as he was ill, but he was able to join us for a day of elephant and buffalo riding, canoeing, monkey dancing and a whole range of things that Thais believe will entertain tourists. The photo on the left shows Steve, Michaela and I having our feet nibbled by fish in a 'fish spa'. Weird and very ticklish, but I must confess to being entertained.

At one point, there were two dancing baby elephants giving a show and the announcer asked for a volunteer to have an elephant massage. I foolishly agreed. I lay face down on a massage mat while the elephant gently tapped me on the back with its incredibly soft foot. That was not unpleasant. Then it decided to stick its hairy, slimy trunk into my ear – not so pleasant!

We saw muay thai boxing – not really my cup of tea. It’s the second time I’ve watched a live match and I can’t say I get a thrill out of seeing thin, wiry young men kick and knee each other in the chest. I’m sure it’s very skilful and I’m sure I couldn’t do it, but I don’t think I’ll watch it again.


And so it was back to the beach for more lying around. We went jet-skiiing and then laid down again. Got our hair braided, then laid down. Did some shopping, and laid down again. It was all very well for someone with a still-sore left foot. Sadly, I had to say farewell to my trusty Teva sandals, which had seen service with me as a peacekeeper in Bougainville, been repaired on railway stations in India, and I’d fought to save when I was being swept down the Bhote Kosi in Nepal. All the parts that hadn’t been repaired finally started to disintegrate. I never thought I’d be attached to a pair of sandals, but I was. Now I guess I’m not, as they have gone to the great sandal home in the sky.

Michaela and I then farewelled Steve, who I think we must have worn out. Then my daughter Lyndal arrived on 13th December, newly graduated with a B.A. from the Australian Defence Force Academy through the University of New South Wales. With Lyndal's arrival came a change of pace.....

No comments:

Post a Comment